Jack Russell Story

My parents swear up and down that they didn’t name me after a dog.    I don’t believe them.

From an early age, I have always enjoyed the outdoors and wildlife.  I remember getting in trouble for using my Dad’s toolbox as a frog Terrarium when I was about 5.

My love of the outdoors has been more than just my hobbies of exploration, adventure, and survivalism, it has also been a lifelong career.

In school, whenever I was given the choice of what subject to do a report on, I would always pick something involving the outdoors and wildlife.  Subjects like: What did Lewis and Clark eat on their cross continental exploration?  How do wildlife populations grow and shrink from environmental stimuli? and many others.  On weekends and holidays in my junior high and highschool days, I would take jobs trapping weasels for the local chicken farms, or helping release pheasants for the local hunting club.  I also volunteered for my local fire department.

In 1995, I left home to attend university in Pullman, WA.  Not only was I a cougar, I got to study them as part of my Natural Resource Sciences: Wildlife Biology program.  During my summer breaks, I worked on a wildlife Habitat protection crew for the US Forest Service in Ukiah, Oregon.  I also fought forest fires.

Jack Russell StoryAfter Earning my Baccalaureate in 1999, and with $12,000 in student debt, I joined the Army to pay off my loans, and get some post graduate experience.  As a Military Police Specialist in Alaska, I got to do duty as a Game Warden for Fort Wainwright and Fort Greely.  After only two years in Alaska, in 2001, the position of Game Warden for Military Personnel was cancelled and made a civilian position to free up more soldiers for the war in Afghanistan.  I was sent to Officer Candidate School and promoted to Lieutenant.  I served two more years in Active Duty including a tour to Iraq.

When I left active duty in the Army, I pursued jobs in civil service including the Washington State Dept of Fish and Wildlife, the WA State Parks, The National Park Service, and a few others, but in all honesty, I had no more desire to be in another bureaucracy, so I ended up signing a franchise agreement with a National Wildlife Damage Management company.  While waiting for my new business to build enough steam to generate clients, I worked installing satellite dishes for DirecTV, and a few other odd jobs.  DirecTV was actually a big help in learning how to maximize time when servicing multiple houses in one day out of a truck equipped with ladders and tools.

I got my first Nuisance Wildlife Client in September of 2005, and have been hard at it ever since.  Although I did briefly return to the Army as a weekend warrior reservist in 2007 when the Chehalis basin flood really decimated a large part of my client base.  I was promoted again during that period to the rank of Captain.

During my time in the Franchise, growth was a requirement, and I strove to grow the business, expanding my reach and advertising to all of Western Washington and having 6 full time employees and 2 part timers.  However, this was a disaster for me in many regards, most notably in the fact that I ended up spending more time in the office managing employees and paperwork than in personally interacting with Clients.  In 2011, I returned to a one man operation and began preparing to leave the Franchise.

I began operation Jack Russell Wildlife Control officially as an independent operation in 2014.

A big thank you to all my referral sources and past clients for their support and continued word of mouth while I organized the business change from Franchisee to independent operator.